Hi, friends! Maria here! I’m currently sitting at my desk with a giant XOXO light up marquee sign next to a beautiful piece of artwork by my friend, Lauren Jackson.
I’m so glad you’re here. I pray this is a place of safety for you. A place where you find comfort in your journey to freedom and a place where you find great solace during your time of need.
Few quick things about me:
- Do a quick google search of the word “quirky.” Ok. Got it? See that definition… yup that’s pretty much me!
- I was born in Costa Rica & came to the USA when I was 7. You can check out a quick video of me sharing my story with my beloved church, Forest Hill, by clicking here.
- I love tacos, moscow mules, donuts, & ice cream. I’m not a fan of dieting but I try to eat lettuce every once in a while.
- I enjoy zombies, Rick Grimes, & sappy love stories. But most evenings I’m home you’ll catch me watching Impractical Jokers. OMG it’s so dang funny!
- I’m a Patriots fan but only if the bandwagon is around and I love witty comebacks.
- I’ve been told I do this thing where I switch my words around in a sentence, when talking out loud, especially if using a popular phrase. Therefore, I try not to chew more then I can bite off.
- I have the cutest puppy in the world… Lady London. She is quirky, full of life, and always rocks a side ponytail 😉
- My motto: Love live, love Jesus, Love others. Pretty simple and I’m sticking to it!
- I’ve never met a Marshalls I didn’t love.
- Wanna go see a movie? Think twice about taking me, I talk and look up plot synopses during the previews.
- Have ya heard about bottles of magic called essential oils? ‘Cause I am over the moon obsessed. You should too.
- I live in the GREATEST city of all… The Queen City. I’m smack-dab in the heart of Charlotte and I don’t think I’ll ever live anywhere else.
- I no nothing about stats or players but I am a die hard Hornets game. Have been since I got a free ticket in elementary school and went with my dad. Now, I take the light rail and enjoy a drink they have called “stinger.” I affectionately call it: Lil stinger. Get it. But be warned: you’re gonna want thirds and thats when things get dangerous.
- I left my church/non profit job to work in the restaurant world because I wanted to get back to my immigrant roots and by golly I got tired of hanging out with only Christians (love ya, friends!).
- YOU my friend are awesome, and lovely, and so worth loving.
- I’m chasing after God with all I’ve got and its risky but I’m finding a freedom that proves we are not alone, and leads us to rivers of never ending joy & hope.
- Phew, there’s so much more to share but Chick-Fil-A is calling me! Must. Eat. Fries.
As a young gal, I always wanted to be noticed, to make a difference, & connect people to the heart of
God. The journey to do so has lead down many narrow roads, with fog so thick I thought I’d never see the light, & winds so strong I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to get up. This is where I found freedom.
The reality is adventure requires sacrifice, & if we knew the safe path to adventure then it wouldn’t be
adventure. It’d be… safe. Adventure calls on bravery, but right behind bravery is fear. And fear always brings her lovely friend called lies. Fear and lies are often disregarded and seen as two undesirable friends but fear & lies, like you and I, are multifaceted. On the other side of fear & lies is freedom. It’s a trait that is only revealed when we face fear & lies face to face.
I don’t know where you are in your journey, but wherever you are, I hope my writings will encourage you, give you hope, and remind you that you aren’t alone. I hope you’ll find this to be a safe place for your heart.
all my love,